Friday, April 4, 2008

Baseball the Greatest?

Is baseball really the greatest? While I can't deny that baseball has the longest history among the top sports, what does that history mean when the growing generations don't watch and thus don't know about that history? Gone are the days when the family would sit around the radio in the summer listening to the game and keeping the score book for their favorite team. I will admit that when I was young baseball was my favorite sport. My favorite team was the Oakland A's when they had the bash brothers, Rickey Henderson, Dennis Eckersley, and the rest. I collected baseball cards and watched all the baseball I could. But that eventually faded away. Maybe because I developed more talent in other sports or maybe because I wasn't good enough to play anymore.

Now I can tell you how two maybe three baseball teams are doing. The Mariners (because they are my favorite), the Yankees (because I hate them), and the Red Sox (because I hate the Yankees). On the other hand, I can tell you how just about every NFL team is doing, can definitely tell you how every NBA team is doing, and tell you about how many of the college football and basketball teams are doing. I can also tell you about how Tiger is doing if he is playing that weekend. However, I think that much of this is determined by a person's personal preferences. If we went by what is the most watched then it would go NFL, Nascar, NBA, MLB, NHL (the first two are 100% right and the last three I am 90% sure).

2 comments:

Melynda said...

Now there's a sad commentary on sports...NASCAR is #2!!! Sadly I'm sure you're right. A bunch of southern white-trash rednecks are ruining sports as we know it!!!

Spencer T said...

hey now! i know plenty of rednecks that are not white trash. With that said, i'm not sure motorsports are sports... I would put them more in the category with xgames which are, as the title suggests, games. For it to be a sport i think athleticism needs to be involved. I understand that this definition excludes many things in the olympics and some things on SportsCenter but i stick by it.